Phonics - Read Write Inc.
"Skilled word reading involves both the speedy working out of the pronunciation of unfamiliar printed words (decoding) and the speedy recognition of familiar printed words. Underpinning both is the understanding that the letters on the page represent the sounds in spoken words." (The National Curriculum, 2014).
Reading is an essential part of everyday life and it is important that these skills are developed at an early age to support children later in life. Reading allows children to understand and communicate with the world. Read Write Inc. is the program we use at Allens Croft to support the teaching of reading. The children use 'fred talk' which enables them to identify sounds, decode and blend sounds together. They also learn a variety of skills which supports their understanding of the stories they are reading. The skills that children learn in RWI are then used across the other curriculum areas.
How to support your child at home:
- Reading at home with your child
- Exposing your child to a variety of genres of books
- Asking questions about stories - What's happened? What might happen next? How would you change the story?
- Identifying phonetic sounds in a story
- Completing phonic based activities sent home in homework packs
- Play phonic based games online (e.g. phonics play)